Sunday, May 24, 2009

Mts. Osceola and East Osceola

Backtracking #2 and 3: Osceola and East Osceola Waterville Valley, NH
June 28, 2008

It is nice to have a few 4kers in the valley. We can be close to home and still get in a good hike. We had Gary drive us up and drop us off at the trailhead on Tripoli Rd. We encountered and passed a group of boy scouts along the way. This hike was a bit nicer because there were switchbacks so it wasn’t as steep. I had my first GU experience and have been a fan ever since. Chocolate Outrage is my favorite, tastes like chocolate syrup. Easy to take down (drink water with it) and in between 15-30min I feel like I have more energy. So I think there were some views along the way but I wouldn’t know, we were in the clouds. Right before the summit it got very foggy/cloudy and you couldn’t see very far in front of you. We got to the top and saw the remnants of an old fire tower. It appeared that on a clear day there would be a fabulous view of the valley below but I couldn’t see more than 10feet. We didn’t stay long because it was wet and cloud.

Soon enough the trail got rougher. There were some steep downhill sections but nothing too bad. The ridge between the two mountains I think had views, but all I could do was hear the Kangamangus Highway. The ridge wasn’t a bad walk and soon enough we were at East Osceola. We took a break and then headed down toward the Greeley Ponds. This was steeper then the way up and we came upon a small rockslide. It was more technical then we thought but nothing we couldn’t handle. Once we got to the ponds we followed the trail to Livermore Road. From there we walked back into the valley and to our condo.

It was about 12miles altogether, 2 4kers, and me power walking the last few to get to a real bathroom. (Note: There is one at the Snows Mtn. lift.)

No comments:

Post a Comment