Friday, May 29, 2009

Mt. Monadnock, NH

Backtracking: Mt. Monadnock, NH
Early Oct. ‘08

My niece’s 1st birthday was our Waterville weekend so I knew I wasn’t going to get a 4ker in. By this point I am becoming obsessed and needed to get a good hike in. I suggested Mt. Monadnock. Now you have to realize we live a solid 2.5 hours away from it along Long Island Sound in CT. On top of that I was meeting a friend at 3:30 to go out to dinner. Minor details. We set off early and made our way north. As we pulled in a ranger was meeting the cars to check if people were really prepared to hike. We were set so we parked and headed out.

I had read that the most popular trails were the white ones so we decided to go Cascade Link to Red Spot. This was a good choice. Not crowded and some fun climbing. Even some scrambling. When we got up near tree line there were some huge boulders with views. I swear I could see Boston from there. It was clear for miles and miles. As we got above tree line things got very windy and a bit chilly. I had packed layers so on went the wool hat, gloves, fleece, and vest. The summit was rather crowded with people mostly coming up the white trails. It was way too windy to really enjoy it though. Although I would have preferred less wind it was still awesome 360 views of the area. It was kind of weird being on this bald mountain that was only just over 3000feet with nothing close to as big nearby.



We found some protection from the wind, had some snacks and headed down. We were on a tight time schedule so we went down at a swift pace. We decided to go down the White Cross Trail and passed a whole ton of people coming up. We made our way down rapidly with no problems. Right at the beginning there were some steep sections but they were dry and didn’t cause any problems. We made it back to the car and home a little after 3:00.



Thoughts: Great sub 4ker. Fabulous 360 views from the top. I recommend going up Red Spot to avoid the masses going the two white trails. Going down them wasn’t bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment