Monday, May 25, 2009

Mts. Lincoln and Lafayette

Backtracking 4 and 5: Lincoln and Lafayette Franconia Notch, NH
July 26, 2008

After researching some we didn’t feel ready to do the Tripyramids yet so we needed to branch outside of the Valley. We still wanted something not far away so our sights were set on the Franconia Notch area. While there were some easier hikes there we decided to dive right in and hit up some 5000fts. Hey, the view from Franconia Ridge was suppose to be fantastic, we like views.

We headed out from Waterville and were to the trailhead by 9am. Our plan was to go counterclockwise up Falling Waters to Little Haystack, along Franconia Ridge, and then down to the Greenleaf Hut and Old Bridle Path. The beginning of Falling Waters was very pleasant and we commented that mom might enjoy it with some nice waterfalls. Soon enough we got to a big waterfall and started heading up. This is where things started getting crowded too. At one point, as we were walking right along the stream, a girl in front of me slipped and fell back landing on my feet. She was ok, but her group let us go past. I have to admit this trail gave me a serious butt whipping. I was riding my bike between hikes but not doing much else to work on those slow twitch, endurance muscles. I struggled mightily, so I truthfully don’t remember much of the way up besides the waterfalls, a few water crossings that weren’t difficult, and a whole slew of French-Canadians. Being a former DI athlete I had put my body through a lot in college so I didn’t (refused to maybe is a better way to put it) give up. I needed some frequent, short stops but powered through. Finally we hit tree line. The excitement and adrenaline made me forget the pain I was in and I quickly got to the top of Little Haystack. Wow, what a view! There were some high level, fair weather clouds but otherwise it was fantastic. The 360 views were terrific. It was a bit intimidating seeing where we still had to go though. We took a break, had some snacks, and headed out.


The Franconia Ridge walk was awesome. We got stuck behind a group on the way to Lincoln but that was ok because they were going at a comfortable pace. I felt very accomplished to reach the top of Lincoln, my first 5ker. Again we took some pictures but then carried on to the real destination, Lafayette. Now for some reason I thought Lafayette was a mile high so I was a bit disappointed when I found out he is only 5260, 20 feet short. Right before the summit it got a little steep but again I have this adrenaline when I am up top and got up much quicker than dad. Maybe when I am standing on that old foundation, if I jump up with my hands up, my hands can touch a mile high. Eh, not so much, no mile high for me today. The top was crowded which didn’t bother me, but it was buggy!?!? What in the world, the Ridge wasn’t, nor were Lincoln and Haystack. Way to ruin it for me. We didn’t stay too long because of the bugs. Got our pictures and headed down.

We stopped in and visited Greenleaf Hut. Thank goodness it was there because we both had run out of water. It was a hot day, we were exposed for a good 2miles and didn’t have anything besides a 70oz Camelbak. We bought some lemonade and ate more snacks. I also bought a patch from the hut. We then headed down Old Bridle Path. This was much less crowded. There was a couple from the Boston area that we were following for a while but otherwise not many other people. There were a few steep sections but nothing too bad, even a few views looking back to the Ridge. Along the way there was a AMC trail maintenance crew working and moving some big rocks, impressive. We got back out to the trailhead but still had to go under the highway to get to Lafayette Place where we parked. I was exhausted. Spent. Tired. But wow, amazed with the awesome views, and proud of myself for doing two 5000kers as my 4th and 5th climbs.

Altogether it was 9miles from the car, a little under 4000feet in elevation gain and I don’t remember how long it took us. If you have a decent endurance base (or don’t mind torturing yourself) you need to go do it. I really want to go back in winter and do it again when there are no bugs to ruin the summit.






Note: Some of you may be confused that I tend to wear LSU stuff when I hike but I went to UNC. Well one of my good friends is the track coach at LSU and has gotten me some gear that is excellent Dri Fit so it is very comfortable to hike in.

1 comment: